Skip to main content

Day 4: My First Friday

My last delivery of the night – last night being the busiest yet with somewhere around 13 deliveries - was to the Century Link Hilton. I parked behind a pickup truck. It was parked behind a pickup truck. That one was parked behind a Prius. And the Prius, a pickup truck.
Odd, right? Pickups everywhere. And a Democrat in there for kicks.
Receipt for the pizza said to call when I got there. So I did. Three times. No answer.
I got out and asked a bellhop if my parking was acceptable for the delivery of a delicious pizza pie. It was not. I was to park alongside the shuttles. So I did. Cost me thirty feet. No big deal. I got out and ran to the doors, stopping by a nice security guard on the way in who pointed me to the elevators. I passed through the automatic sliding glass doors on the North side of the building.
It was loud. There was a par-tay going on of epic rodeo proportions. There were cowboy hats, belt buckles, boots, beer and big hair coming out of everywhere. They walked and drank, sat and drank, and went to the elevators and drank.
I missed a semi-full elevator. That’s ok. I would have had to duck below the hat brims, or wedge it somewhere between two Cat mesh big-bill trucker’s hats. Not my idea of effective upward transit.
A new one arrived in short order and I followed a young couple – no hats, but definitely boots – and parked my butt in the back-right corner. Three more people followed. Two big-haired, tall-hatted women approached just as the elevator was closing. I threw my hand forward just as the door was closing and caught it. They laughed and said, “Thank you!” Another gentleman followed them, mesh hat and beer accounted for, and said, “I definitely want to ride with the pizza guy.”
“Oh, and not with the Rodeo Queens? Thanks a lot!” said one of the regal pair. That caused a good laugh.
“That really does smell awesome!” man-with-beer said.
“How much for your pizza?” the old man by the buttons said. He had jowls. Can’t be old and a cowboy without jowls.
“If it were mine to sell, I’d give it to you for free!” I responded.
“Oh ok. Well, we won’t rob ya,” the man said. People chuckled.
“You are going to our same floor,” one of the Highnesses commented.
“Yeah. You know, I bet the customer is a nice guy. You can get to know him and ask him for a piece,” I suggested. They laughed. It was our stop, so four of us got off.
I found the room. I knocked once. Counted to fifteen-one-thousand and knocked again. Then I called again.
Next call was to the restaurant.
“Thank you for calling that one pizza restaurant, can you please hold-“
“Shiftmanager, it’s me, RI, the new driver.”
“Oh, what’s up?”
I explained the dilemma.
“Okay, let me call the customer. Give me a minute.”
Hold music. She came back.
“Wait five more minutes and if he doesn't answer, come back to the store.”
I complied. I set a clock on my phone for five minutes, folded my hands and waited. People came here and there. I saw a few hopefuls, but no dice. Then…
“Heyyyyy, our pizzas shear!”
Who was it? You guessed it! A middle-aged, overweight gentlemen with jeans and probably boots, I don’t remember. He had an alcoholic beverage in one hand and some alcohol in his blood already judging by the slur in his excited shout. There were three people in tow.
“You must be the Customer!” I said.
“Me, nahhhh, the Customer is that guy,” the older man said. He pointed his bottle of bubbles to a young man walking crooked at the back of the group.
We explained comical pleasantries and anecdotes. Don’t get me wrong. I’m not funny. They were drunk. That made it comical. They apologized that I had to wait. The older man settled the bill and gave me a nice tip. I thanked them and wished them a good evening.
The old man said, “Thank you, Jeezush,” and stepped/fell towards the door.
Now, I don’t know why that was funny. In that man’s inebriation, he was expressing gratitude. Did the alcohol short-circuit something and bring out something like last Sunday’s sermon? Was I a savior to him at that moment? Or was he, in a very literal way, thanking the Lord for this morsel of beer-absorbing cheese mass?
I couldn’t help but bow my own head as I pondered the exchange and say, “Thank you, Jesus.”
Another day, another dollar, and by His will, still running.
Roe intense!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Day 48 & 49: Death and Pizza

A 63 year old Domino’s delivery driver died outside an apartment in Birmingham, AL on Sunday. "My Father was simply trying to earn an honorable dollar. He didn't feel entitled for it, he worked for it, and it makes me sick to my core how someone felt they were entitled to his money (and drivers never carry much, he always deposits it every time he runs back to the store) or his life over what? $20? My dad’s life was ended for $20??? I can't bear it. I just can't believe it," his daughter said on the site. That story stuck out Monday. It was plastered all over a private driver’s group I’m a part of. I saw it on my phone. I even got a message from a friend on Facebook. “Stay safe,” he said. He included a link to the story. “I saw that. Sad,” I said. Those law enforcement officials will do their best to solve that crime. I’m sure of it. The Pizza Delivery Driver’s Forum has opened my eyes to how bad this problem is. (I am affiliated with the forum as a contri

Blowing off the dust.

Wow, been a while. My last post was around Thanksgiving of 2017. We had become - and continue to be - debt free since April of that year. We had just been interviewed by NPR the previous June and had no idea what was going to happen with that. (If you read my account of the interview, remember I was recording for posterity so it might read like a memoir. Good for naps, if you know what I mean.) Anywho, we didn't receive any news from NPR until yesterday. Looks like they will have a Life Kit segment come out in a couple of weeks that will involve our interview. Figured I'd shoot out an update on us and our journey in case new folks come by. First, my first post ever was back in September of 2014. Reading that first entry is a blast from the past. It's hard to believe that was 4 1/2 years ago. I delivered pizzas for two years (plus a few months) to get out of debt. We've been debt free for two years come April. How bananas is that! I started this blog as a recor

5 Things Every Pizza Delivery Driver Needs for Success

Updated: 2/1/2016. “How many times has Dave Ramsey said, ‘Deliver pizzas’?” Said s omeone on the Dave Ramsey forums . The answer is: lots. I hear it often when I listen to his show. That and ‘sell the car.’ ( Car payments KILL people’s wealth-building income every month. ) Since first posting this list back in December of 2014, I’ve heard great, quality responses and suggestions. The original list of five things has been updated as follows: A kit for receipt convenience   A fuel efficient car with an accurate GPS A need for speed The “Wow!” extras A smile These tips apply no matter what company you drive for. (No pun intended.) Let’s learn something.   1. You need a kit for receipt convenience   Don’t underestimate the power of a simple receipt kit. It is as follows: A clipboard. A suitable pen for your clipboard. A cheap, small flashlight with a clamp or a tether. A clipboard and pen are must-haves. It is easier on you. It is easier on them. Not having on