Skip to main content

Day 7: A Rainy Tuesday

I opened the car door and faced a momentous decision head-on:

Do I use the pizza bag as an umbrella, or just tuck it under my right arm and protect the phone?

It rained hard starting between 6:30 and 7. It varied in intensity throughout the night. It let up one moment then let loose the next. It was a wonderful night to deliver pizzas. It was quiet and squishy without a lot of traffic.

Also, I never received less than a $5 tip. Was it pity, luck of the draw, both or neither?

Lest anybody witnessing this epic adventure of debt destruction forget… this is an epic adventure of debt destruction. I deliver pizzas to make money. Cash. Moolah. I don’t rob any Apostles to pay other Apostles. I deliver pies to bulldoze debt and cut the binds that hold us.

My calculations heretofore yield the following:

 

Average pay per hour: $15.65

Average deliveries per night: 8

Average tip/mileage reimbursement per delivery: $5.87

Best night: 09/27 at $65.85 with 7 deliveries

Worst night: 09/23 at $28.67 with 7 deliveries

Best week: $217.16

All figures represent tips and mileage reimbursement.

 

Not too long ago, our debt free date was May 2016.

At the rate above, we will be debt free by November 2015, or sooner.

That’s huge. It feels miraculous. The finish line is there. The goal is visible. The end zone is in range and coming up one tick at a time.

I wonder what it will feel like to be debt-free (except our mortgage!) I wonder what it will be like to be able to save and give like we’ve never saved nor given before, and years ahead of schedule! The top of our debt mountain looms. I like to think the weather up there is AB-FAB.

Not there yet, though. Down here? It’s raining. I hear there’s a great book about making it rain. I’ll read it someday. Until then, I’ll keep climbing and enjoy the weather.

ROE INTENSE

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Day 48 & 49: Death and Pizza

A 63 year old Domino’s delivery driver died outside an apartment in Birmingham, AL on Sunday. "My Father was simply trying to earn an honorable dollar. He didn't feel entitled for it, he worked for it, and it makes me sick to my core how someone felt they were entitled to his money (and drivers never carry much, he always deposits it every time he runs back to the store) or his life over what? $20? My dad’s life was ended for $20??? I can't bear it. I just can't believe it," his daughter said on the site. That story stuck out Monday. It was plastered all over a private driver’s group I’m a part of. I saw it on my phone. I even got a message from a friend on Facebook. “Stay safe,” he said. He included a link to the story. “I saw that. Sad,” I said. Those law enforcement officials will do their best to solve that crime. I’m sure of it. The Pizza Delivery Driver’s Forum has opened my eyes to how bad this problem is. (I am affiliated with the forum as a contri

Blowing off the dust.

Wow, been a while. My last post was around Thanksgiving of 2017. We had become - and continue to be - debt free since April of that year. We had just been interviewed by NPR the previous June and had no idea what was going to happen with that. (If you read my account of the interview, remember I was recording for posterity so it might read like a memoir. Good for naps, if you know what I mean.) Anywho, we didn't receive any news from NPR until yesterday. Looks like they will have a Life Kit segment come out in a couple of weeks that will involve our interview. Figured I'd shoot out an update on us and our journey in case new folks come by. First, my first post ever was back in September of 2014. Reading that first entry is a blast from the past. It's hard to believe that was 4 1/2 years ago. I delivered pizzas for two years (plus a few months) to get out of debt. We've been debt free for two years come April. How bananas is that! I started this blog as a recor