Skip to main content

Day 40: Proof that Smiles are Important

In “5 Things Every (Beginner) Pizza Delivery Driver Needs for Success”, number 5 was that you need to smile. “You’ll make friends out of the regulars, and regulars out of the once-in-a-while deliveries.”

It was ten minutes before closing time last night. I took a phone call.

“This is that one pizza restaurant in South Omaha, could you please hold?”

I’m supposed to put people on hold if there is a greeter nearby.

“That’s fine, I’m just calling about a delivery.”

Her voice was terse and stressed.

“Oh, I might be able to help, ma’am. What’s the phone n-“

“It’s just that I was told it would be here in forty-five minutes and it’s been forty-five minutes.”

She gave me her phone number. I found the receipt. There were five minutes left until the expected delivery time.

I let her know that it was done and a driver would be leaving in short order.

“Well do I get a discount or something because it’s late?”

“Let me have you talk to a manager about that one. Hold on.”

I passed her off and went to ready the pizza bag. The manager let me know there was a discount applied. I took the new receipt and headed out.

The first thing I did when I got in my car was called the customer. Yes, I had just spoken with her, but now I had the driver hat on, not the phone answerer.

I let her know I was on my way.

“Good. And a manager was going to give a discount.”

“Yes ma’am, I have the new receipt with me with the new amount,” I said. My tone was reassuring.

“Yeah, because the order is late. I was told forty-five minutes and it’s not here yet.”

“I’m glad she was able to give you the discount,” I said. “By the way, is there anything I should know about your home?”

She gave me a description. It was very nearby. As soon as I saw it, I recognized it. My mind flooded itself with the details of our previous conversation. She had a boss that had gone to the hospital with their spouse.

“Oh, hi! I’ve delivered to you before!” I said.

“Yeah, you have!”

She recognized me from my phone call!

I apologized for the delay, gave her the new amount on the receipt and the food. She gave me ten dollars more than the amount required.

“Can you give me a five and a bunch of ones back?”

I said, “You mean, like, a five and five ones?”

“Yeah, then keep two. Because it’s not your fault the order was late.”

I thanked her and departed.

I am convinced to an extreme that the sole reason I received a tip was because of my positivity during the first delivery with her, and my consideration of her feelings by calling her when I left the store.

Those kinds of experiences are the best. Remember, ye other pizza delivery drivers: SMILE!

ROE INTENSE

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Day 48 & 49: Death and Pizza

A 63 year old Domino’s delivery driver died outside an apartment in Birmingham, AL on Sunday. "My Father was simply trying to earn an honorable dollar. He didn't feel entitled for it, he worked for it, and it makes me sick to my core how someone felt they were entitled to his money (and drivers never carry much, he always deposits it every time he runs back to the store) or his life over what? $20? My dad’s life was ended for $20??? I can't bear it. I just can't believe it," his daughter said on the site. That story stuck out Monday. It was plastered all over a private driver’s group I’m a part of. I saw it on my phone. I even got a message from a friend on Facebook. “Stay safe,” he said. He included a link to the story. “I saw that. Sad,” I said. Those law enforcement officials will do their best to solve that crime. I’m sure of it. The Pizza Delivery Driver’s Forum has opened my eyes to how bad this problem is. (I am affiliated with the forum as a contri

Blowing off the dust.

Wow, been a while. My last post was around Thanksgiving of 2017. We had become - and continue to be - debt free since April of that year. We had just been interviewed by NPR the previous June and had no idea what was going to happen with that. (If you read my account of the interview, remember I was recording for posterity so it might read like a memoir. Good for naps, if you know what I mean.) Anywho, we didn't receive any news from NPR until yesterday. Looks like they will have a Life Kit segment come out in a couple of weeks that will involve our interview. Figured I'd shoot out an update on us and our journey in case new folks come by. First, my first post ever was back in September of 2014. Reading that first entry is a blast from the past. It's hard to believe that was 4 1/2 years ago. I delivered pizzas for two years (plus a few months) to get out of debt. We've been debt free for two years come April. How bananas is that! I started this blog as a recor