Skip to main content

Day 43: A Tired Friday

We had a server go poof at job #1.

I am a Senior Support Technician / Service Lead for Layton Flower Technologies.

We rock.

We service small to medium businesses as a Managed Service Provider. This particular customer called in to inform us that nobody could get on to the server. Turned out to be a catastrophic filesystem meltdown.

Wednesday: 8AM – 2AM (Thursday)

Thursday: 8:30AM – 5 PM (on-site with customer)

Friday: 8:30AM – 3 PM (on-site with customer)

I got to the restaurant last night. I felt slow. I parked slow. I got out slow. I went inside slow.

It was hopping. The shift manager was busy. I had to wait to get started. I crossed my arms and leaned against a wall.

“Why are you just standing there like that?” one of the gals said.

“I have to wait for the shift manager to get started,” I said. I can imagine I looked tired. Felt like I had bags under my eyes big enough for $200 in groceries. They were drooping low enough. If I didn’t use them for groceries, maybe I could add a fun dimension to my grease-sliding.

The manager got my drawer open and I hit the streets. One of the first deliveries had specific instructions to enter the porch to knock. I did so. A short, plump, middle-aged Hispanic lady answered the door.

She yelled up the stairs in Spanish.

“Jill, your food is here!” she said.

“And it’s delicious!” I yelled afterward. She laughed. She went back to her novela.

A cat came down before the customer. I expected this lady’s daughter to come down to pay for it. The gal that came down was not Hispanic at all. Didn’t even look related. As I write, I’m still curious. Why was she in this lady’s house? Was she a tenant? A caretaker?

“I’m really sorry,” she said, “but all I have are seventeen $1 bills.”

“Oh, that’s no problem! Works out, actually,” I said. I pulled out the food.

“And $4 in change. But one is a cool gold dollar coin,” she explained. We traded.

“Ok, let me just count it to make sure we’re covered,” I said. I counted the ones. We were good. She handed me the change.

“You must be in foodservice, too, if you have so many ones,” I said. I was distracted by the counting. She didn’t answer right away. Then she kind of chuckled.

“Yeah,” she said. Her voice trailed off.

Ok, maybe not food service.

I thanked her for the tip and headed out.

Later that night, I delivered to a neat building on 10th and Leavenworth. It was the first time someone keyed me in. They are all locked at the entrance unless a tenant pushes a button. He pushed the button. Sweet looking elevators. Awesome hallways. It was classy.

That gentleman complemented me on my clipboard. He’d never seen it before. I told him that when I first started, I decided I didn’t want people signing on a box.

I forgot a piece of the meal. I ran back, picked it up, and dropped it back off.

I was so tired. I still am tired. Time to keep going though. I came out $59 closer to being debt free. DEBT F-R-E-E. Always staying:

ROE INTENSE

Comments

  1. Keep it up dude. That last payment feels so good!!!! You'll get there one pizza at a time!!!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Day 48 & 49: Death and Pizza

A 63 year old Domino’s delivery driver died outside an apartment in Birmingham, AL on Sunday. "My Father was simply trying to earn an honorable dollar. He didn't feel entitled for it, he worked for it, and it makes me sick to my core how someone felt they were entitled to his money (and drivers never carry much, he always deposits it every time he runs back to the store) or his life over what? $20? My dad’s life was ended for $20??? I can't bear it. I just can't believe it," his daughter said on the site. That story stuck out Monday. It was plastered all over a private driver’s group I’m a part of. I saw it on my phone. I even got a message from a friend on Facebook. “Stay safe,” he said. He included a link to the story. “I saw that. Sad,” I said. Those law enforcement officials will do their best to solve that crime. I’m sure of it. The Pizza Delivery Driver’s Forum has opened my eyes to how bad this problem is. (I am affiliated with the forum as a contri

Blowing off the dust.

Wow, been a while. My last post was around Thanksgiving of 2017. We had become - and continue to be - debt free since April of that year. We had just been interviewed by NPR the previous June and had no idea what was going to happen with that. (If you read my account of the interview, remember I was recording for posterity so it might read like a memoir. Good for naps, if you know what I mean.) Anywho, we didn't receive any news from NPR until yesterday. Looks like they will have a Life Kit segment come out in a couple of weeks that will involve our interview. Figured I'd shoot out an update on us and our journey in case new folks come by. First, my first post ever was back in September of 2014. Reading that first entry is a blast from the past. It's hard to believe that was 4 1/2 years ago. I delivered pizzas for two years (plus a few months) to get out of debt. We've been debt free for two years come April. How bananas is that! I started this blog as a recor