Skip to main content

Day 57-58: Did you turn it off and back on again?

“Cap’n,” my coworker said.

It was the tone of her voice. It was the tone, and the direction. Her voice was deadened in a specific way. All those versed in the ways of frustrated Users can recognize it. You see, the human voice sounds distinct when bouncing off of a frustrating computer and/or one of its peripherals.

“Cap’n, the printer’s broke,” my coworker said.

I was already by her side. She was fiddling with a receipt printer. These small gray boxes are like those UFOs from Batteries Not Included. But not the cool one. Or the burger one. The ornery one.

batteries-not-included

I’m not saying this printer runs away with silverware or steals appliances to procreate. I’m just saying these little mini-machine gun bunkers can be a pain in the neck.

You know what I asked her when I got to the printer? Guess.

“Did you turn it off and back on again?”

Coworker looked at me.

“I thought I did,” she said.

I opened the lid, checked the paper. There was no jam. I closed it. She clicked the power off and back on. No change.

“Well, here,” I said. I clicked the power off and started silent mouth-counting. One one-thousand. Two one-thousand. Three one-thousand.

“Oh, you have to give it a few seconds,” Coworker said. A prep cook was cutting a pizza next to us. Cap’n was still busy somewhere else.

I got to ten and powered it back on. The paper ticked up about two millimeters indicating it had received feed instructions. I tested the manual feed and it worked.

Then it printed. Boy, did it print. It printed with abandon. It printed with vehemence. It printed like Bi Sheng. Then it printed like Gutenberg.

The last of the queued receipts printed and life resumed. My full-time job indirectly improved the lives of my part-time coworkers.

Again, I was struck with the intangible patterns. Sometimes when something doesn’t work, we panic. We unplug it, then plug it back in. We press random spots and pull random levers. We mash the power button. Then, frustrated, we hand it off to someone we think might be able to handle it.

They take a few quiet seconds to look it over. They turn it off. They let it rest. They restore power, and it works.

Who do we hand our budgets to when they break? Who do we call when we lose our temper despite efforts to control it? Where do we “hand off” our elevated heart rate when our infant won’t stop crying and we don’t know why? Etc.

My answer to all of these will be different from yours. Some might be similar. I was reminded while fixing Pandora’s Printer that I need to turn things off and back on again sometimes. We all do. Find someone that will help. I’ve found Jesus to be a great help, because He sends other people. He sends my bro, Josh Olbricht. He sends my wife. He delivers me a picture of “Kitty Zane, Eva and the Sun” in the hands of that beautiful Princess.

Whoever those people are to you, the metaphorical printer-fixers… Keep those people nearby. And never hesitate to be that person for someone else. You’ll make more friends.

Here’s to another year of being:

ROE INTENSE

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Day 48 & 49: Death and Pizza

A 63 year old Domino’s delivery driver died outside an apartment in Birmingham, AL on Sunday. "My Father was simply trying to earn an honorable dollar. He didn't feel entitled for it, he worked for it, and it makes me sick to my core how someone felt they were entitled to his money (and drivers never carry much, he always deposits it every time he runs back to the store) or his life over what? $20? My dad’s life was ended for $20??? I can't bear it. I just can't believe it," his daughter said on the site. That story stuck out Monday. It was plastered all over a private driver’s group I’m a part of. I saw it on my phone. I even got a message from a friend on Facebook. “Stay safe,” he said. He included a link to the story. “I saw that. Sad,” I said. Those law enforcement officials will do their best to solve that crime. I’m sure of it. The Pizza Delivery Driver’s Forum has opened my eyes to how bad this problem is. (I am affiliated with the forum as a contri

Blowing off the dust.

Wow, been a while. My last post was around Thanksgiving of 2017. We had become - and continue to be - debt free since April of that year. We had just been interviewed by NPR the previous June and had no idea what was going to happen with that. (If you read my account of the interview, remember I was recording for posterity so it might read like a memoir. Good for naps, if you know what I mean.) Anywho, we didn't receive any news from NPR until yesterday. Looks like they will have a Life Kit segment come out in a couple of weeks that will involve our interview. Figured I'd shoot out an update on us and our journey in case new folks come by. First, my first post ever was back in September of 2014. Reading that first entry is a blast from the past. It's hard to believe that was 4 1/2 years ago. I delivered pizzas for two years (plus a few months) to get out of debt. We've been debt free for two years come April. How bananas is that! I started this blog as a recor

5 Things Every Pizza Delivery Driver Needs for Success

Updated: 2/1/2016. “How many times has Dave Ramsey said, ‘Deliver pizzas’?” Said s omeone on the Dave Ramsey forums . The answer is: lots. I hear it often when I listen to his show. That and ‘sell the car.’ ( Car payments KILL people’s wealth-building income every month. ) Since first posting this list back in December of 2014, I’ve heard great, quality responses and suggestions. The original list of five things has been updated as follows: A kit for receipt convenience   A fuel efficient car with an accurate GPS A need for speed The “Wow!” extras A smile These tips apply no matter what company you drive for. (No pun intended.) Let’s learn something.   1. You need a kit for receipt convenience   Don’t underestimate the power of a simple receipt kit. It is as follows: A clipboard. A suitable pen for your clipboard. A cheap, small flashlight with a clamp or a tether. A clipboard and pen are must-haves. It is easier on you. It is easier on them. Not having on