Skip to main content

Interesting Places, Tight Spaces

Whew! Felt like I was on vacation. I took Friday and Saturday off last week. The Boy Scouts had a winter campout on Friday the 13th. We got there, unpacked, put up tents, and lit the fire. The rest of the evening was spent staying warm. One scout made Ramen noodles. They proceeded to put them on hot dogs. A co-leader remarked that the noodles looked like sauerkraut.

I cut sleep short at about 6 AM the following morning. I packed up and headed out. I got home by 7:30. The wife and I took the kids to her parents, then enjoyed a Valentine’s breakfast at Dixie Quick’s. It’s a charming restaurant. I guess they used to be in the Old Market in Omaha. They moved to Council Bluffs when Iowa legalized same-sex marriage. Every business has a story. Their French toast and eggs benedict were awesome.

Back to last night. I was delivering pizzas again for the first time in a week. It was busy. I made decent money: $44.

The interesting place – and topic of today’s post – hearkens back to my earlier posts about racism and housing projects in Omaha. This time it was the Pine St. Tower instead of Jackson Tower.

Pine St. Tower, in the words of a gentleman that was by the door when I arrived at a previous delivery, “ain’t no Jackson Tower.” He then told me nobody was going to rob me. Then he asked me how much money I was carrying.

Another man swore at him and told him to go away during that same exchange. Then a Sudanese man told me everyone was weird in that tower. Easily angered. Then he told me that I had no enemies.

“Because you are pizza delivery driver,” he said. I remember him. Interesting guy. He had on a bright red plaid trapper’s cap with brown fur. Apple ear buds stood out like the milky way in space against his black head and neck. He had a giant Sudanese smile with the characteristic missing teeth.

Last night’s delivery involved no such characters. I called ahead of time and let the tenant know I was on my way because I saw they were on the 10th floor. She met me downstairs. I told her the total of the bill once she let me in.

“Oh, we gotta go to the 10th floor. He’s got the money,” she said.

“Oh,” I said. “Excellent.”

We turned the corner to the elevators. An elderly cleaning lady with a crusty mop bucket and a crustier mop was fiddling with an emergency key. The emergency light was flashing for the right-hand elevators. She muttered something about a guy named Tom littered with expletives and rife with frustration. Then she pushed the up button and the door to the tiniest elevator I have ever witnessed opened up.

We fit. Barely. Crusty mop and all. Old lady got off on the 6th floor.

“Somethin’ always be happenin’ in this tower,” my customer said.

“Oh yeah?”

“Yeah. Like last time, the power went out and none of the emergency lighting systems worked. It was a mess,” she said.

We got to the tenth floor. Right outside the door was the big bay window to the outside. We turned right and went all the way to the end of the hall. I exchanged pizza for money and headed out.

The elevator was delayed.

While I waited, I looked at the tile. It was in terrible shape. The halls were poorly lit. It needed paint like I need to be patient in our fight against debt. I thought to myself, “Why is the Pine St. Tower such a dump?”

Strong words. But people call this place home. And it is OHA. So is it OHA’s problem? Or my problem as a neighbor?

The door finally opened. Two nice maintenance guys were in the teeny tiny elevator waiting. The car stopped at almost every floor on the way down because of the emergency setting on the other car.

Omaha Housing Authority projects: interesting places with tight spaces. God Bless America, and DIE DEBT DIE.

ROE INTENSE

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Day 48 & 49: Death and Pizza

A 63 year old Domino’s delivery driver died outside an apartment in Birmingham, AL on Sunday. "My Father was simply trying to earn an honorable dollar. He didn't feel entitled for it, he worked for it, and it makes me sick to my core how someone felt they were entitled to his money (and drivers never carry much, he always deposits it every time he runs back to the store) or his life over what? $20? My dad’s life was ended for $20??? I can't bear it. I just can't believe it," his daughter said on the site. That story stuck out Monday. It was plastered all over a private driver’s group I’m a part of. I saw it on my phone. I even got a message from a friend on Facebook. “Stay safe,” he said. He included a link to the story. “I saw that. Sad,” I said. Those law enforcement officials will do their best to solve that crime. I’m sure of it. The Pizza Delivery Driver’s Forum has opened my eyes to how bad this problem is. (I am affiliated with the forum as a contri

Blowing off the dust.

Wow, been a while. My last post was around Thanksgiving of 2017. We had become - and continue to be - debt free since April of that year. We had just been interviewed by NPR the previous June and had no idea what was going to happen with that. (If you read my account of the interview, remember I was recording for posterity so it might read like a memoir. Good for naps, if you know what I mean.) Anywho, we didn't receive any news from NPR until yesterday. Looks like they will have a Life Kit segment come out in a couple of weeks that will involve our interview. Figured I'd shoot out an update on us and our journey in case new folks come by. First, my first post ever was back in September of 2014. Reading that first entry is a blast from the past. It's hard to believe that was 4 1/2 years ago. I delivered pizzas for two years (plus a few months) to get out of debt. We've been debt free for two years come April. How bananas is that! I started this blog as a recor

5 Things Every Pizza Delivery Driver Needs for Success

Updated: 2/1/2016. “How many times has Dave Ramsey said, ‘Deliver pizzas’?” Said s omeone on the Dave Ramsey forums . The answer is: lots. I hear it often when I listen to his show. That and ‘sell the car.’ ( Car payments KILL people’s wealth-building income every month. ) Since first posting this list back in December of 2014, I’ve heard great, quality responses and suggestions. The original list of five things has been updated as follows: A kit for receipt convenience   A fuel efficient car with an accurate GPS A need for speed The “Wow!” extras A smile These tips apply no matter what company you drive for. (No pun intended.) Let’s learn something.   1. You need a kit for receipt convenience   Don’t underestimate the power of a simple receipt kit. It is as follows: A clipboard. A suitable pen for your clipboard. A cheap, small flashlight with a clamp or a tether. A clipboard and pen are must-haves. It is easier on you. It is easier on them. Not having on