Skip to main content

Bubbles. (Deliveries 5/13)

 

bubbles

There is no angry way to say ‘bubbles.’ I tried. The result was hilarious, sad and confirming. There really is no angry way to say ‘bubbles.’

I told my kids about it.

There we were, sitting around the dinner table. We munched on delicious noodles. We went through the typical conversation. I asked everyone what the favorite part of their day was. The middle and eldest Princesses pointed at the table with full mouths. Bright red watermelon drips lined their chins as they smiled. The message was clear.

“Right now. Because food.”

The youngest can usually jabber a response, but she was busy. She is getting ready to go through  a growth spurt, so she gave me a sidelong glance as she shoveled in another handful. “Please. I am eating,” the glance said.

That’s when I told them. There is no angry way to say bubbles. We had a good laugh as we tried.

Something became clear as we did. My pizza coworkers trying to say ‘bubbles’ in angry voices would make for an epic story. On my way in to work, I imagined the Warrior saying the word as a battle cry. I imagined Cap’n trying to shout it. Leff-tenant would have it bagged, wouldn’t he? It was going to be epic.

I arrived before long. The door chimed as I stepped into the back of the house. I greeted a few people. I unlocked my money box and got my till. Then I pounced.

“Hey guys, guess what I learned today?” I asked. The Warrior was there, as was a customer facing gal and my Manager On Duty, la Michoacana (pronounced “la Meecho-a-CA-na”).

“What?” the customer gal said.

“There is no way to angrily say the word ‘bubbles’!” I said.

I waited a few nanoseconds for the roof to collapse with the energy of humorous attempts.

The customer facing gal kind of smiled. The Warrior also gave it a half-smile, then cut a pizza.

“You try it!” the gal said.

“I did! It doesn’t work!” I cried.

“BUBBLES!” The Warrior attempted. Once. And it was NOT angry. Micho didn’t even try. The customer facing gal tried it twice.

I was left hanging. I was disappointed. The epic story that I had seen unfold in my mind petered out and died right in front of me. I felt deflated, but determined.

If you can find a way to say the word ‘bubbles’ in an angry tone, I challenge you to do so and share the video on my Facebook page. Or in a comment on this post. Try and beat me at it:

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Day 48 & 49: Death and Pizza

A 63 year old Domino’s delivery driver died outside an apartment in Birmingham, AL on Sunday. "My Father was simply trying to earn an honorable dollar. He didn't feel entitled for it, he worked for it, and it makes me sick to my core how someone felt they were entitled to his money (and drivers never carry much, he always deposits it every time he runs back to the store) or his life over what? $20? My dad’s life was ended for $20??? I can't bear it. I just can't believe it," his daughter said on the site. That story stuck out Monday. It was plastered all over a private driver’s group I’m a part of. I saw it on my phone. I even got a message from a friend on Facebook. “Stay safe,” he said. He included a link to the story. “I saw that. Sad,” I said. Those law enforcement officials will do their best to solve that crime. I’m sure of it. The Pizza Delivery Driver’s Forum has opened my eyes to how bad this problem is. (I am affiliated with the forum as a contri

Blowing off the dust.

Wow, been a while. My last post was around Thanksgiving of 2017. We had become - and continue to be - debt free since April of that year. We had just been interviewed by NPR the previous June and had no idea what was going to happen with that. (If you read my account of the interview, remember I was recording for posterity so it might read like a memoir. Good for naps, if you know what I mean.) Anywho, we didn't receive any news from NPR until yesterday. Looks like they will have a Life Kit segment come out in a couple of weeks that will involve our interview. Figured I'd shoot out an update on us and our journey in case new folks come by. First, my first post ever was back in September of 2014. Reading that first entry is a blast from the past. It's hard to believe that was 4 1/2 years ago. I delivered pizzas for two years (plus a few months) to get out of debt. We've been debt free for two years come April. How bananas is that! I started this blog as a recor