Skip to main content

The Bucket List, and One Checked Off

I don’t plan on delivering forever. Thus, I have a Pizza Delivery bucket list. I didn’t come up with it before I started delivering. The crazy stories I have heard and the crazier people I have met and worked with have spawned it. Here it is, in no particular order:

  • Receive a $100 tip.
  • Receive a non-money money tip, such as a gift card or a coupon for something.
  • Deliver to the same customer as another pizza company.
  • Have an order so big, it takes two trips.
  • Have a customer call in a compliment on my service.

Last night, I got to cross one off the list.

I don’t work Tuesday nights on a regular basis. I talked to Cap’n about switching this week’s Wednesday shift for Tuesday. Amazewife had a Church engagement.

She worked it out for me. I joined the team and delivered till 9 PM.

My last delivery was to a familiar apartment complex. It towers above the Old Market just off of Jones St. I was the only delivery vehicle there. I parked my car creatively, threw on my hazards and called the customer.

Those apartment complexes are double-entry protected. There’s a main door to the outside, then a door with a call box. They take a code. I asked the customer if he had a code for me or if I should wait downstairs. He let me know the code but encouraged me to wait, that he would be downstairs in a few minutes. I agreed to.

Several minutes later, a man stepped into the lobby. Judging by the lack of blinking, quick pace and what might have been the reflection of saliva at the corner of his mouth – all tell-tale signs of having ordered and waited for pizza – I figured he was my customer.

He was. I handed him my super-awesome, customer complemented clipboard with its new minion and princess stickers and let him know where to sign. I took the food out while he did so. When he was finished, he reached into a pocket and grabbed some folded dollars.

No, it wasn’t $100.

He put the folded bills on the clipboard and gave it back. I thanked him very much, handed over his pizza, and told him to enjoy it. He thanked me, assured me that he would and we parted ways.

I drove back to the pizza store and parked. I walked in. It was pretty slow. The manager and a coworker were on two of the phones. The music wasn’t very loud. Felt low-key.

I stepped into the back of the house and put my bag up. Then I stepped up to the computer to get myself back in line. At just that moment, the manager hung up the phone and plopped a receipt down on the keyboard. It was Leff-tenant.

“RI,” he said, “It is very rare that I ever get complimentary calls from customers for my drivers. Thank you for such a job well done. Keep it up.”

I looked at the receipt. He had jotted down the words from the customer. “Very nice, Amazing job, keep up the good work.”

I thanked him profusely for telling me about it. I let him know it made my night. He said it made his, too. I felt good! I ordered a treat for Amazewife and I to celebrate and went home shortly thereafter.

I’ve made a lot of mistakes. They’ve been on my mind.  I’ve taken out debt to buy things I thought I needed but didn’t. I’ve forgotten things. I’ve said things that I really shouldn’t have said.

I still make a lot of those same mistakes, but I thank God there’s a Way out. Jesus is the way out of our mistakes, not pizza delivery, but I think he works with a lot of different situations differently.

I am so grateful for this pizza job. It is the physical manifestation of my internal commitment to work through my money mistakes and use money like God wants me to.

It made more than just my night to cross that item off the Bucket List. It made me feel grateful. It made me feel like it’s not all drudgery; it made me feel like the time I’m spending is making a positive difference for a lot more people than I thought.

It’s all just so intense.

ROE INTENSE

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Day 48 & 49: Death and Pizza

A 63 year old Domino’s delivery driver died outside an apartment in Birmingham, AL on Sunday. "My Father was simply trying to earn an honorable dollar. He didn't feel entitled for it, he worked for it, and it makes me sick to my core how someone felt they were entitled to his money (and drivers never carry much, he always deposits it every time he runs back to the store) or his life over what? $20? My dad’s life was ended for $20??? I can't bear it. I just can't believe it," his daughter said on the site. That story stuck out Monday. It was plastered all over a private driver’s group I’m a part of. I saw it on my phone. I even got a message from a friend on Facebook. “Stay safe,” he said. He included a link to the story. “I saw that. Sad,” I said. Those law enforcement officials will do their best to solve that crime. I’m sure of it. The Pizza Delivery Driver’s Forum has opened my eyes to how bad this problem is. (I am affiliated with the forum as a contri

Blowing off the dust.

Wow, been a while. My last post was around Thanksgiving of 2017. We had become - and continue to be - debt free since April of that year. We had just been interviewed by NPR the previous June and had no idea what was going to happen with that. (If you read my account of the interview, remember I was recording for posterity so it might read like a memoir. Good for naps, if you know what I mean.) Anywho, we didn't receive any news from NPR until yesterday. Looks like they will have a Life Kit segment come out in a couple of weeks that will involve our interview. Figured I'd shoot out an update on us and our journey in case new folks come by. First, my first post ever was back in September of 2014. Reading that first entry is a blast from the past. It's hard to believe that was 4 1/2 years ago. I delivered pizzas for two years (plus a few months) to get out of debt. We've been debt free for two years come April. How bananas is that! I started this blog as a recor

5 Things Every Pizza Delivery Driver Needs for Success

Updated: 2/1/2016. “How many times has Dave Ramsey said, ‘Deliver pizzas’?” Said s omeone on the Dave Ramsey forums . The answer is: lots. I hear it often when I listen to his show. That and ‘sell the car.’ ( Car payments KILL people’s wealth-building income every month. ) Since first posting this list back in December of 2014, I’ve heard great, quality responses and suggestions. The original list of five things has been updated as follows: A kit for receipt convenience   A fuel efficient car with an accurate GPS A need for speed The “Wow!” extras A smile These tips apply no matter what company you drive for. (No pun intended.) Let’s learn something.   1. You need a kit for receipt convenience   Don’t underestimate the power of a simple receipt kit. It is as follows: A clipboard. A suitable pen for your clipboard. A cheap, small flashlight with a clamp or a tether. A clipboard and pen are must-haves. It is easier on you. It is easier on them. Not having on