Skip to main content

Windy Wednesday

Wednesday night was windy. But whatever. Wind works wonders at whisking away  woes and worries.

Sorry. Got a little carried away. (tee hee.)

We have a little less than 16,000 woes and worries left. It’s official. Amazewife and I dropped below $16,000 on the student debt this month. It’s our final debt to pay.

I was on my way to a delivery at a familiar block of apartments in front of Omaha Central High School. I was about five minutes out, so I thought I’d call and let the customer know. Wanted to minimize time outside my Taurus.

“Hello?” a woman said. She didn’t sound like a Roberto, or whatever the customer’s name was.

“Hi, my name is RI from that one pizza place. I have a delivery for Ignacio?” Or whatever his name was.

“He’s not available at the moment, may I ask who’s calling?”

I paused.

“My name is RI, I’m calling from that pizza restaurant, you know, that one. I have a delivery for Ignacio,” or whatev, you get the point, “and wanted to let him know I’m on the way.”

“Oh.” She paused. “He doesn’t live here in Miami, he lives in Omaha, Nebraska,” she said.

I looked out my window. First National Tower loomed in the distance. The Park View projects sign lit up the sky. UP railroad ran under 24th street. Definitely Omaha.

“Oh, I’m sorry ma’am. The number he gave us is this one that I’ve called,” I said.

“Oh! He must have ordered online?”

I agreed.

“Let me get you his number, it’s—“

I jotted down the number, thanked her bunches and hung up.

I dialed the new number. This time a male answered and responded to Julio – or whatever his name was – like he owned it. He let me know he would be outside soon.

I pulled up, counted to ten, then got out of my car.

Lift happened.

That’s how I would describe it. The wind speed under the pizza bag was greater than the wind speed over the top of the bag. It bucked and tried to climb hard. I halted it with the strap and backed my adrenaline off a few notches. I noted in my mind that I did not feel the pizza shuffle or fold itself in half. I balked at the wind.

It may take my body heat, miscellaneous papers and most receipts, but it will never take my pizza.

There was a small outcropping of pretty tile nearby. I huddled near it and held on. The customer came out, apologized about the phone number mix-up and we parted ways.

Later that night, I was informed that we had a Bitter Betty on the team. The Post Office had ordered something like a million pizzas the other day and someone didn’t get a cut on the tip. That person was taken a victimized stance, saying he saw favoritism in others and racism towards him since he’s the only non-Mexican in the store. The latter is the furthest from the truth, of course. I might speak Spanish, but I look like this guy:

Although, given the love and respect I have for Hispanic culture, it’s an honor to be profiled as such.

That whole mess reminded me how grateful I am to have chosen less emotional dependence on tips.

Another day, another windy dollar. As always:

ROE INTENSE

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Day 48 & 49: Death and Pizza

A 63 year old Domino’s delivery driver died outside an apartment in Birmingham, AL on Sunday. "My Father was simply trying to earn an honorable dollar. He didn't feel entitled for it, he worked for it, and it makes me sick to my core how someone felt they were entitled to his money (and drivers never carry much, he always deposits it every time he runs back to the store) or his life over what? $20? My dad’s life was ended for $20??? I can't bear it. I just can't believe it," his daughter said on the site. That story stuck out Monday. It was plastered all over a private driver’s group I’m a part of. I saw it on my phone. I even got a message from a friend on Facebook. “Stay safe,” he said. He included a link to the story. “I saw that. Sad,” I said. Those law enforcement officials will do their best to solve that crime. I’m sure of it. The Pizza Delivery Driver’s Forum has opened my eyes to how bad this problem is. (I am affiliated with the forum as a contri

Blowing off the dust.

Wow, been a while. My last post was around Thanksgiving of 2017. We had become - and continue to be - debt free since April of that year. We had just been interviewed by NPR the previous June and had no idea what was going to happen with that. (If you read my account of the interview, remember I was recording for posterity so it might read like a memoir. Good for naps, if you know what I mean.) Anywho, we didn't receive any news from NPR until yesterday. Looks like they will have a Life Kit segment come out in a couple of weeks that will involve our interview. Figured I'd shoot out an update on us and our journey in case new folks come by. First, my first post ever was back in September of 2014. Reading that first entry is a blast from the past. It's hard to believe that was 4 1/2 years ago. I delivered pizzas for two years (plus a few months) to get out of debt. We've been debt free for two years come April. How bananas is that! I started this blog as a recor