Skip to main content

Budgeting: The Money’s Not Your Problem

The first post in this series was about Baby Step 1. The second, Baby Step 2. Before I go into Baby Step 3, we need to get a few things out of the way. Let us start with Thin Mints.

Smooth. Delicious. Minty. These cookies mean a lot to me. They bring back childhood memories. My mother would buy several boxes. She would remove the sleeves, place them in the freezer and let them harden. Then I would stand at the foot of the fridge like a poor man on a Depression era bread line and ask for more.

Turns out your mouth gets bigger as you grow up. The cookies don’t, though. As mouth size increases, cookie size remains the same. It does terrible things to the Thin Mint supply and demand curves of my stomach. The law of diminishing returns gets thrown out the window.

They have never stopped being so incredibly delicious.

Let’s pretend there are 30 cookies to a sleeve. There are two sleeves in a box. That’s 60 cookies. Here’s where I start to make my point. Answer this carefully:

 

What is the difference between eating Thin Mints for a day, and eating Thin Mints for a month?

 

I wish I could stop the post at this point.  I want to put this question out there, and wait for responses before continuing. But I can’t, so here’s the answer.

A plan.

That’s it. For serious. The difference between eating Thin Mints for a day and eating Thin Mints for a month is a plan.

Dave Ramsey says that adults devise a plan and follow it. Children react. This is perfectly illustrated in my own life. The inner 5 year old is the one eating both sleeves in about an hour. The 30 year old man knows he could eat two a day and have Girl Scout Thin Mints for a month.

Money is the exact same way. My inner 5 year old wants moon pies and a new tent. The 30 year old is sick of being in debt. He’s living without moon pies and a new tent right now so that he can buy as many moon pies and tents as his heart desires later in life. And give tons of them away.

Another Dave Ramsey saying fits:

 

“A budget is telling your money where to go instead of wondering where it went.”

 

It is a plan. It is an operating document. You give every single dollar a name, then you live and die by those assignments.

Enter the Budget Committee and the Budget Committee Meetings.

Life happens. You can make all the assignments you want, but life will happen. You have to plan wisely with someone you can trust. If you’re married, it will be  your spouse. If you are not, pick someone that you can trust, maybe someone who is older and better with money than you are. Ask them if they will help you stick to a budget. You and that other person constitute the Budget Committee.

The BC reviews the budget – a brand new one every month – and expenses outside of the budget are only made after convening as a committee and moving the money around together. (My wife and I do this via text message a lot.) If the money can’t be moved, then the partners need to say the dreaded word.

No.

This isn’t rocket science. It’s not complicated. But it is hard. See, money is amoral. Money isn’t good or bad. It’s used for good or bad depending on who’s touching it.

I hope I’ve made my point.

When it comes to money, your money isn’t the problem. You are.

ROE INTENSE

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Day 48 & 49: Death and Pizza

A 63 year old Domino’s delivery driver died outside an apartment in Birmingham, AL on Sunday. "My Father was simply trying to earn an honorable dollar. He didn't feel entitled for it, he worked for it, and it makes me sick to my core how someone felt they were entitled to his money (and drivers never carry much, he always deposits it every time he runs back to the store) or his life over what? $20? My dad’s life was ended for $20??? I can't bear it. I just can't believe it," his daughter said on the site. That story stuck out Monday. It was plastered all over a private driver’s group I’m a part of. I saw it on my phone. I even got a message from a friend on Facebook. “Stay safe,” he said. He included a link to the story. “I saw that. Sad,” I said. Those law enforcement officials will do their best to solve that crime. I’m sure of it. The Pizza Delivery Driver’s Forum has opened my eyes to how bad this problem is. (I am affiliated with the forum as a contri

Blowing off the dust.

Wow, been a while. My last post was around Thanksgiving of 2017. We had become - and continue to be - debt free since April of that year. We had just been interviewed by NPR the previous June and had no idea what was going to happen with that. (If you read my account of the interview, remember I was recording for posterity so it might read like a memoir. Good for naps, if you know what I mean.) Anywho, we didn't receive any news from NPR until yesterday. Looks like they will have a Life Kit segment come out in a couple of weeks that will involve our interview. Figured I'd shoot out an update on us and our journey in case new folks come by. First, my first post ever was back in September of 2014. Reading that first entry is a blast from the past. It's hard to believe that was 4 1/2 years ago. I delivered pizzas for two years (plus a few months) to get out of debt. We've been debt free for two years come April. How bananas is that! I started this blog as a recor

5 Things Every Pizza Delivery Driver Needs for Success

Updated: 2/1/2016. “How many times has Dave Ramsey said, ‘Deliver pizzas’?” Said s omeone on the Dave Ramsey forums . The answer is: lots. I hear it often when I listen to his show. That and ‘sell the car.’ ( Car payments KILL people’s wealth-building income every month. ) Since first posting this list back in December of 2014, I’ve heard great, quality responses and suggestions. The original list of five things has been updated as follows: A kit for receipt convenience   A fuel efficient car with an accurate GPS A need for speed The “Wow!” extras A smile These tips apply no matter what company you drive for. (No pun intended.) Let’s learn something.   1. You need a kit for receipt convenience   Don’t underestimate the power of a simple receipt kit. It is as follows: A clipboard. A suitable pen for your clipboard. A cheap, small flashlight with a clamp or a tether. A clipboard and pen are must-haves. It is easier on you. It is easier on them. Not having on