Skip to main content

What’s Your Anxiety Index?

Marketplace - a finance-based radio presence on American Public Media (think NPR) - and Edison Research collaborated on a financial metric. They call it the Anxiety Index. It’s brand new, born circa fall 2015. So how does it work?

The Anxiety Index is based on mind-numbing poll questions about personal finance. What did it most recently find? Economic stress didn’t move beyond or below 31 across a range of demographics. Anxiety is measured on a scale from 0 to 100. The higher the number, the more stressed.

Per the Marketplace website:

Why didn't the number budge? Because Americans continue to feel anxious about their economic situation and feel worried about meeting monthly expenses.

 

Indexround2

 

The folks on the radio were much more specific. The question they touched on was 26A from the poll:

Suppose you were faced with an unexpected expense of one thousand dollars, how difficult would it be to pay that expense? Would it be…?  (emphasis added)

Of 1,012 people polled, 58% of it said they would find it very difficult or somewhat difficult (26% and 32%, respective.) 42% said it would not be difficult at all.

We are part of that 42%.

I cannot stress how important that $1,000 has been to our family. It’s the first thing to get replenished if we touch it. We no longer live paycheck to paycheck thanks to that $1,000. We no longer depend on credit cards thanks to that $1,000. And it is not difficult at all to meet those $1,000 expenses because of that $1,000.

How anxious are you? Take the poll. Then save, save, save!

ROE INTENSE

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Day 48 & 49: Death and Pizza

A 63 year old Domino’s delivery driver died outside an apartment in Birmingham, AL on Sunday. "My Father was simply trying to earn an honorable dollar. He didn't feel entitled for it, he worked for it, and it makes me sick to my core how someone felt they were entitled to his money (and drivers never carry much, he always deposits it every time he runs back to the store) or his life over what? $20? My dad’s life was ended for $20??? I can't bear it. I just can't believe it," his daughter said on the site. That story stuck out Monday. It was plastered all over a private driver’s group I’m a part of. I saw it on my phone. I even got a message from a friend on Facebook. “Stay safe,” he said. He included a link to the story. “I saw that. Sad,” I said. Those law enforcement officials will do their best to solve that crime. I’m sure of it. The Pizza Delivery Driver’s Forum has opened my eyes to how bad this problem is. (I am affiliated with the forum as a contri

Blowing off the dust.

Wow, been a while. My last post was around Thanksgiving of 2017. We had become - and continue to be - debt free since April of that year. We had just been interviewed by NPR the previous June and had no idea what was going to happen with that. (If you read my account of the interview, remember I was recording for posterity so it might read like a memoir. Good for naps, if you know what I mean.) Anywho, we didn't receive any news from NPR until yesterday. Looks like they will have a Life Kit segment come out in a couple of weeks that will involve our interview. Figured I'd shoot out an update on us and our journey in case new folks come by. First, my first post ever was back in September of 2014. Reading that first entry is a blast from the past. It's hard to believe that was 4 1/2 years ago. I delivered pizzas for two years (plus a few months) to get out of debt. We've been debt free for two years come April. How bananas is that! I started this blog as a recor