Skip to main content

Where We Stand

The last of our debt – to any one person or institution on this earth – is right here:

image

That’s it. $9,322.78. We basically owe Navient a used Kia Sorento.

Here’s where we were as of Christmas Eve, 2014:

No automatic alt text available.

 

I want to make it clear for those just now tuning in. Over the last two and a half years:

  • We paid off nearly $6,800 in credit cards.
  • We paid off a surprise hernia surgery for Ruth ($1,700)
  • We paid off Amazewife’s student loans in full to the tune of $15k.
  • We’ve paid off all but the above amount of my $15k student loans.
  • We owe no money on car payments. Instead we’ve sent three vehicles out to pasture: our Silhouette, the Suburban and the LeSabre. We currently drive a Toyota Sienna and the Ford Taurus.
  • We’ve paid cash for everything, including:
    • Car repairs and replacements, the surprises and the planned
    • Vacations (the ones we could afford)
    • Our 5 month old, Weston Anthony.

Image may contain: 1 person, closeup

That $9k is going to die. We were planning on having all $9k paid off by March 27. Amazemom is taking all of us undeserving children to Disneyland that day. Doesn’t look like that is in the cards. It will be closer to May.

I’m posting this to share with you where we stand. I hope you find hope in it with your money.

I could go in to a lot of other things. I could point out that there seem to be some White House staff that have gone rogue on Facebook. I could describe my feelings about President Trump’s Immigration Ban EO. I could even ramble on about how I’ve lost 20 lbs. since changing my diet, 7 of which I’ve lost in the last three weeks since dropping sugar and added sweeteners. (I do a kettlebell routine MWF and run TTh.)

But that’s not what this blog is for.

Ok, it’s kind of what this blog is for. I’m trying to record as much as I can. But it’s focus is on us smashing our debt. It’s about us living like no one else so that we can live like no one else. It’s about you believing you can, too, because you read about it here, on the internet.

So stay tuned. The funeral procession for the last of the Gardner family debt is coming ‘round the bend. How far away is yours? How far away do you want it to be?

ROE INTENSE

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Day 48 & 49: Death and Pizza

A 63 year old Domino’s delivery driver died outside an apartment in Birmingham, AL on Sunday. "My Father was simply trying to earn an honorable dollar. He didn't feel entitled for it, he worked for it, and it makes me sick to my core how someone felt they were entitled to his money (and drivers never carry much, he always deposits it every time he runs back to the store) or his life over what? $20? My dad’s life was ended for $20??? I can't bear it. I just can't believe it," his daughter said on the site. That story stuck out Monday. It was plastered all over a private driver’s group I’m a part of. I saw it on my phone. I even got a message from a friend on Facebook. “Stay safe,” he said. He included a link to the story. “I saw that. Sad,” I said. Those law enforcement officials will do their best to solve that crime. I’m sure of it. The Pizza Delivery Driver’s Forum has opened my eyes to how bad this problem is. (I am affiliated with the forum as a contri

Blowing off the dust.

Wow, been a while. My last post was around Thanksgiving of 2017. We had become - and continue to be - debt free since April of that year. We had just been interviewed by NPR the previous June and had no idea what was going to happen with that. (If you read my account of the interview, remember I was recording for posterity so it might read like a memoir. Good for naps, if you know what I mean.) Anywho, we didn't receive any news from NPR until yesterday. Looks like they will have a Life Kit segment come out in a couple of weeks that will involve our interview. Figured I'd shoot out an update on us and our journey in case new folks come by. First, my first post ever was back in September of 2014. Reading that first entry is a blast from the past. It's hard to believe that was 4 1/2 years ago. I delivered pizzas for two years (plus a few months) to get out of debt. We've been debt free for two years come April. How bananas is that! I started this blog as a recor