Skip to main content

Fashion Question (Deliveries 5/22)

I arrived late last night to my shift because of a Wi-Fi build-out for a new customer at job #1.

I grabbed my first receipt. The name on the receipt was Hispanic, but just close enough to English to be a possible typo.

Michoacana took the initial order. I asked her if the customer spoke Spanish or English.

“Spanish,” she clarified.

I nodded. I grabbed the order and some condiments and I left.

As I approached the home of this person, something came into view. It was large. It moved and shifted in a mass of arms and legs. It was alive. Very much alive. It was bigger than my car and fast. I wondered what it would take to get through it.

As I got even closer, I realized I was in no immediate danger. It was a mass of a dozen or more children playing around the very apartment I was headed to.

I got out of my car with the pizzas. The kids raised their voices is a chorus of shouts. “The pizza is here! Hi pizza!” One kid sat by the driveway to a small parking lot. He straddled a bike and looked around. He stayed there the whole time.

The body of children flowed through the door of the apartment. I was greeted by a pregnant (?) woman who signed my credit card receipt and took the pizzas. She had a high number of tattoos and piercings. The fashion item that stood out the most, however, were her eyebrows.

Her natural eyebrows were shaved off. The bones of her brow jutted out. And there, a full two to three inches up her forehead, were either drawn or tattooed eyebrows.

No. You know what? They were pretty far up there. Let’s call them Skybrows. 

I couldn’t tell if they were drawn or tattooed because it was dark. And you know, it didn’t occur to me to ask.

I got back to the store.  There was a lull, so I broached the question with the MOD and one of the customer facing ladies.

“Ok, so help me out with something,” I began. They focused their attention as I told the tale of the Skybrows.

“I want to know if this is pretty popular,” I said.

From both women, in unison, then in chorus, a four part harmony and with a drum set pulled out from under a counter – don’t ask me how - they stated, “NO.”

“Oh, good,” I said. “I wanted to make sure I wasn’t supposed to go tell Amazewife she’s behind the times on fashion.”

NO. NO. NO.

The Skybrows were intense. The answer to whether they were fashionable was equally intense. It’s good to know that I have people that surround me that can help me with such difficult fashion questions.

Ah, the things you see delivering pizzas.

As always,

ROE INTENSE

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Day 48 & 49: Death and Pizza

A 63 year old Domino’s delivery driver died outside an apartment in Birmingham, AL on Sunday. "My Father was simply trying to earn an honorable dollar. He didn't feel entitled for it, he worked for it, and it makes me sick to my core how someone felt they were entitled to his money (and drivers never carry much, he always deposits it every time he runs back to the store) or his life over what? $20? My dad’s life was ended for $20??? I can't bear it. I just can't believe it," his daughter said on the site. That story stuck out Monday. It was plastered all over a private driver’s group I’m a part of. I saw it on my phone. I even got a message from a friend on Facebook. “Stay safe,” he said. He included a link to the story. “I saw that. Sad,” I said. Those law enforcement officials will do their best to solve that crime. I’m sure of it. The Pizza Delivery Driver’s Forum has opened my eyes to how bad this problem is. (I am affiliated with the forum as a contri

Blowing off the dust.

Wow, been a while. My last post was around Thanksgiving of 2017. We had become - and continue to be - debt free since April of that year. We had just been interviewed by NPR the previous June and had no idea what was going to happen with that. (If you read my account of the interview, remember I was recording for posterity so it might read like a memoir. Good for naps, if you know what I mean.) Anywho, we didn't receive any news from NPR until yesterday. Looks like they will have a Life Kit segment come out in a couple of weeks that will involve our interview. Figured I'd shoot out an update on us and our journey in case new folks come by. First, my first post ever was back in September of 2014. Reading that first entry is a blast from the past. It's hard to believe that was 4 1/2 years ago. I delivered pizzas for two years (plus a few months) to get out of debt. We've been debt free for two years come April. How bananas is that! I started this blog as a recor

5 Things Every Pizza Delivery Driver Needs for Success

Updated: 2/1/2016. “How many times has Dave Ramsey said, ‘Deliver pizzas’?” Said s omeone on the Dave Ramsey forums . The answer is: lots. I hear it often when I listen to his show. That and ‘sell the car.’ ( Car payments KILL people’s wealth-building income every month. ) Since first posting this list back in December of 2014, I’ve heard great, quality responses and suggestions. The original list of five things has been updated as follows: A kit for receipt convenience   A fuel efficient car with an accurate GPS A need for speed The “Wow!” extras A smile These tips apply no matter what company you drive for. (No pun intended.) Let’s learn something.   1. You need a kit for receipt convenience   Don’t underestimate the power of a simple receipt kit. It is as follows: A clipboard. A suitable pen for your clipboard. A cheap, small flashlight with a clamp or a tether. A clipboard and pen are must-haves. It is easier on you. It is easier on them. Not having on